Background information and counseling approach of James J. Sanders, LMFT, LPC, NCC, CCMHC
My approach to couples and individual counseling as well as the duration of counseling varies depending upon your wants as well as other clinical indications. In collaboration with you, I like to set concrete, attainable goals. At the end of counseling, it is great to look back and realize what you have achieved. I utilize a variety of different approaches and models partly depending upon what may have worked for you in the past. Some of the theories and tools I gravitate to include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Oriented Therapy, Family Systems Theory, and on appropriate occasion, humor. 🙂 I enjoy working with all ages.
Counseling is a fluid process that includes many possible benefits as well as potential pain as we will discuss openly throughout therapy. You and I will identify some issues you may be having and collaborate on resolution. At times, this includes me gently confronting you on things I see from my perspective that you may possibly be unaware of and may want to look at. Because of this and many other good reasons, your honesty with me is very important. I will hold your communication with me in the strictest confidence. To ensure your privacy, I am my own secretary, while keeping notes in my own locked file cabinet away from this office. I want my office to be a very comfortable and safe place to discover and create the life want at your pace and path. Please ask any question any time.
Thank you and welcome.
Professional Licensure and National Certifications
California State Board Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. License # 40061
Colorado State Board of Health Licensed Professional Counselor. License # 2187
Nebraska State Board of Health Licensed Mental Health Practitioner and L.P.C.
National Board Certified Counselor. #33693
National Board Specialist Certification in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Master’s Degree in Agency Counseling. M.A. 1985
- University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Bachelors Degree in Psychology. B.A. 1982
- Triple Minor in Sociology, Philosophy, and Communication
- University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- President of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists 2011-2012
- James Sanders Counseling. Private Practice 1985 – Present
- Omaha Nebraska, Boulder Colorado, Solo in Mission Viejo and Corona Del Mar, CA
- Owner and Director:
- An individual, marriage, family and group counseling practice.
- It also served as a supervision and internship site for the University of Nebraska Graduate School of Counseling during 1991-1995.
- Book Author: I Already Am What I Want 1989
- Lumpkin and Bunkers Publishing Co. ISBN: 0-9621828-9-3
- TV/Radio Appearances Concerning Psychological Issues
- NBC, ABC, CBS, Cox Cable TV and major radio stations in Omaha Nebraska
- Speaker and Consultant
- Seminars and lectures have been given to various organizations including:
- Pepperdine University
- Creighton University
- Omaha Public Power District
- Omaha Chamber of Commerce
- Visiting Nurses Association
- Methodist Hospital
- TV/Radio Appearances as Guest Expert on Psychological Issues
NBC, ABC, CBS, Cox Cable TV and major radio stations in Omaha, Nebraska
- Omaha Magazine 1985-88
- Wrote “Dear Therapist” column.
- Adjunct Professor
- Metropolitan Community College 1987-91
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Taught classes on Marriage and Family Therapy, Therapeutic Techniques, and Interpersonal Communication
- Safety and Health Council of the Midlands. 1987-91
- Psychiatric Assistant
- U.N. Medical Center Psychiatric Institute. 1983-84
Community Service Volunteer
- Board of Directors of Mary’s Shelter, a group home for pregnant teenage girls and their babies. 2012-2015
Knights of Columbus. Third Degree 2008-Present
- Toby’s House For Homeless Pregnant Women. S.J. Capistrano, CA 2006-2009
- Marriage Preparation Counselor for the Archdiocese of Omaha 1992-1995
- President, Omaha Businessmen’s Association 1991
- Douglas County Department of Health Task Force on Stress, Member 1985-1990
- Nebraska Olympic Developmental Soccer Team Coach of Players Under 23 1987
- Hospice Counseling, Lincoln, Nebraska 1981-82
- Big Brother, Omaha Home for Boys 1977-78
- Counselor, Personal Crisis Telephone Hotline 1977-78
Professional Organization Member
- President of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- State Board of Directors of (C.A.M.F.T) 2011-Present
- Chief Financial Officer, 2008-2010
- Board of Directors of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (C.A.M.F.T.) 2006-Present
- Lifetime Member of C.A.M.F.T.
- American Counseling Association. Lifetime member
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors. 2002-2008
- Assoc. for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling. 1999-2001
- American Association for Specialists in Group Work. 1988-2000
- Association of Private Practice Therapists. 1991-1995
- Co-Chair District II, Nebraska Counseling Association. 1991-1992
- American Mental Health Counseling Association. 1986-1990.